Wednesday, June 17, 2015

Taking the (full) train

I have just realised, after 6 months of regular commuting via train, that I am more comfortable on a full train than an empty one. Initially I was a little daunted by the occasional very full and cramped train, but now as I stand swaying in the full train I feel somehow connected to people and part of a larger whole.

When I get on a sparsely populated train it is like all the normal people have gone and just the outliers remain. I am more cautious and feel more vulnerable. I enjoy the stop in the city when people flood onto the train and it is full again.

The other day, when the power failed and the trains stopped, I was comforted by the large herd of well behaved commuter-sheep who waited patiently and eventually followed the directions to the replacement bus service. It was't like being broken down by the side of a busy road. We were all broken down together!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment