Tuesday, December 03, 2013

The Golem's Eye - Jonathan Stroud

This is the Hundred-and-fourth in my one-book-at-a-time bookshelf.


When I started reading this book for the first time I found a point, early on, where I was losing interest. You might know that feeling - the story has promised enough to get you into it but then seems to flag and you know if you put it down somewhere you might never come back to it. I got that feeling but persisted another chapter and suddenly it took off! I think this is a good example of the decline of editorship, that expert guidance that demands an author go back and rewrite until the novel meets the exacting standard of the editor. However that takes time as well as expertise and time is money. In any case this is an excellent second novel in the sequence.

No comments:

Post a Comment