Thursday, August 22, 2013

The Last Battle - C.S. Lewis

This is the Forty-first in my one-book-at-a-time bookshelf.


I've really enjoyed sharing the Narnia books on my bookshelf. Just thinking about each one has been a pleasure, like looking at photos from a holiday in Paris, and I look forward to visiting that place again.

There is a darkness in this book beyond that of the other books, but also an uplifting sense of the wonder of life and striving for something more. Bringing a book to a satisfying conclusion is difficult and ending a series is even harder but once again Lewis shows his exceptional skills as a writer.

As chance would have it a quote from Lewis was circulating this week and I couldn't agree more -

A children's story that can only be enjoyed by children is not a good children's story in the slightest.

Enjoy.

3 comments:

  1. Nice post! I wonder if you know the name of the artist who did the drawings for the covers in this edition? Curiously enough in my books (Brazilian edition) they don't give the name; I tried to find it around the Internet, but without success.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've had a look at my copy, a 1990 edition from Collins imprint Lions, but there doesn't appear to be any credit for the cover images! I find this a major oversight and will look further now that you have piqued my curiosity.

      Thanks for your interest.

      Delete
    2. I've done a little more digging and it seems that Carol Lawson http://lawsonmcewan.com/index.html might be the illustrator, though the complete lack of credit is awkward.

      Delete