Tuesday, June 11, 2013

The Blue Sword - Robin McKinley


Here is the second of my one-book-at-a-time bookshelf.



When I'd finished this book for the first time I was so taken with it that I started again.This is the only book that I've actually re-read straight away.

The author treads the line between historical fiction and fantasy using a style repeated in some of her other works, but especially effective here. I guess what entranced me the most was her ability to capture the reader's sense of perspective and then turn that on its head. I'd also note, that in this age of gut-wrenching blood soaked fantasy, The Blue Sword is not like that!


2 comments:

  1. Awesome post! I love Robin McKinley's writing; big fan right here, but don't think I've read this one. *adds to reading list*. My favourite ever book by her is "Beauty" - such a wonderful retelling of the classic fairytale. I particularly liked your sentence: "I guess what entranced me the most was her ability to capture the reader's sense of perspective and then turn that on its head." That is what she does best in "Beauty" - you think you know the story, but she still finds a way to make the story new. Bravo! Looking forward to your next post :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is one of my all time favourite books! I don't know how many times I've read it (& the hero & the crown). Formative reads for me growing up - Beauty included.

    ReplyDelete