Sunday, July 14, 2013

Matilda - Roald Dahl

This is the Twenty-first in my one-book-at-a-time bookshelf.


My kids are much better read in this part of the bookshelf than me. I didn't really get into Roald Dahl as a child, though I have become more of a fan in later years. I absolutely envy his way with words, his ability to create characters and his knack for twisting the plot in a way that would break the story in another writer's hands. An excellent example of this is the short story The Wonderful Story of Henry Sugar. His grossness has also been much appreciated in my house.


I don't like the cover of this particular edition of Matilda (though it is on my bookshelf, so I will live with it) so I have included one of Quentin Blake's illustrations from inside. It is hard to imagine Roald Dahl without Quentin Blake's contribution.

My admiration for Roald Dahl doesn't place me in a select minority. His books still grace the shelves of all good bookstores and there have been some derivative re-workings which I will mention in later posts. 

No comments:

Post a Comment