Saturday, June 08, 2013

Bookshelf

I've been an avid reader for as long as I can remember. Some of my earliest and most pleasant memories relate to reading books. Sometimes music, food or location can remind me of the first time I read a particular book. Reading is an enduring passion.

Now that I have a blog I plan to post my bookshelf one book at a time until I run out of books.

I will only include books I've read and liked and books that I will read again; the bookshelf I would stock for a one way trip to Mars, my desert island collection, the legacy I hand down to the next generation. These are books that have become a part of my life.

If you find your tastes coincide with mine then you might find a gem or two that you have overlooked. I am still 'discovering' books that have been around for decades but for one reason or another escaped my attention. They are such a delight to discover, especially when you find a prolific author that has escaped your notice.

You will find that many of the books on my shelf are 'children's books'. I've never lost the taste for these type of books and consider them very suitable reading for an adult. My definition of a children's book is one that is accessible to a child but this doesn't imply that an adult can't also enjoy the book.

I am told, though I find this hard to believe, that some people only read a book once! For me the sign of a great book is knowing you will read it again and again. I find that when I reread a favourite book that I've changed and the experience is different.

Perhaps one day in the future I will be at a loss for a book and my blog will remind me of the treasures on my bookshelf.

Stay tuned.

3 comments:

  1. Love this idea - cant wait to see what books are on your bookshelf! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Abigail. Hope you find them interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm that person who can only read a book once, and as a consequence I don't tend to buy books - I borrow them. I love stories, especially well-told ones, but I'm just not that interested in them a second time round, and would rather spend the time with a new book. Same with movies. Looking forward to your bookshelf :)

    ReplyDelete